Blue Badges:

A Blue Badge entitles you to park in certain restricted places on the public roads, (it does not entitle you to any rights on private land).

If you’re disabled or have a health condition that affects your mobility, you can apply for a Blue Badge.

You can also apply for a badge if you care for a child with a health condition that affects their mobility.

Your local council administers the scheme. Councils can charge for a blue badge. The most you can be charged is £10.

You can find more information from your local council about the Blue Badge scheme through GOV.UK.

For information about the scheme in Salford go to

If you get certain benefits you’ll automatically be able to get a Blue Badge. The application will be straightforward.

You don’t need to be able to drive to apply for a Blue Badge, unless you’re applying because of problems with your arms.

Who can get a Blue Badge?

You’re automatically eligible for a Blue Badge if you:

  • are registered as blind
  • get the higher rate of the mobility component of Disability Living Allowance (DLA)
  • get Personal Independence Payment (PIP) and scored 8 points or more in the ‘moving around’ area of your assessment – check your decision letter if you’re not sure
  • get War Pensioners’ Mobility Supplement
  • received a lump sum payment as part of the Armed Forces Compensation scheme (tariffs 1 to 8), and have been certified as having a permanent and substantial disability

If you’re not automatically eligible:

It’s worth applying as you might still be able to get a badge. You’ll have to fill in an extra part of the application to show why you need one.

You should do this if:

  • you have problems walking that are permanent, or that your doctor says are likely to last at least a year
  • you can’t use your arms
  • you’re applying on behalf of a child aged over 2 who has problems walking, or a child under 3 who needs to be close to a vehicle because of a health condition

Documents you need:

Before you apply, make sure you have:

  • your National Insurance number or child reference number if you’re applying for a child
  • your driving licence if you have one
  • the number, expiry date and local council on your current blue badge, if you have one

You’ll also need:

  • your original decision letter from the Department of Work and Pensions – if you’re automatically eligible for a badge
  • proof of identification, for example a birth or marriage certificate, passport, ID card or driving licence
  • proof of address, such as a Council Tax bill or a utility bill dated within the last 3 months
  • a photograph of the person the badge is for. In Salford you can get a free photograph taken for you at your local Gateway Centre.

Send copies of your documents rather than originals, in case your application gets lost in the post. The portal allows you to upload electronic copies of your paperwork.

If you’re not automatically eligible you’ll need to fill in an extra part of the application form to explain why you need a badge.

The application is more complicated if you’re not automatically eligible. It’s worth getting help from an adviser at your nearest Citizens Advice to fill in the form properly.

If you have a terminal illness:

Contact your local council (Salford 0161 793 2500) and ask if you can fill in a paper form – tell them you’re terminally ill when you call. You’ll still need to prove you’re eligible but your application might be dealt with quicker. They might give you instructions that will make the application easier, for example you might not need to answer all the questions on the form.

If you apply online, make sure you write clearly that you’re terminally ill when you’re asked to describe your medical condition. There won’t be a box to tick.


Tom Togher

May 2019.