The new system of eVisas – Getting an online immigration status:

The Government (the old one – but no change is expected) is introducing a system of online Immigration status recording, or eVisas.

Most physical immigration documents are being replaced by eVisas. This includes:

  • biometric residence permits (BRPs)
  • biometric residence cards (BRCs)
  • stamps in passports
  • ‘vignette’ stickers in passports

Getting an eVisa is free and won’t change your permission to live in the UK.

You’ll need to create a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account before the end of 2024 to access your eVisa.

If your biometric residence permit expires on 31 December 2024:

Most biometric residence permits (BRPs) have an expiry date of 31 December 2024 – because eVisas are replacing BRPs. This doesn’t mean your visa ends on this date.

The Home Office will ask you to create an account for your eVisa before your BRP expires. 

If you’re not sure when your visa ends, you can check the letter you got from the Home Office when they approved your application.

If you still can’t find when your visa ends, talk to an adviser.

The Home Office have produced an online video guide which you can access at: Video from the Home Office – what is an eVisa?

The link to the Home Office information video is:

More information is available on the Gov.UK website at:

When you’ll get an online immigration status:

When you’ll get an eVisa depends on your situation.

  • If you’re applying for a visa or indefinite leave
  • If you already have a visa or indefinite leave
  • If you have pre-settled or settled status
  • If you already have an online account

You don’t need to create a UKVI account if you already have one. You might already have one if you’ve applied for:

  • pre-settled or settled status from the EU Settlement Scheme
  • a student visa
  • a British National (Overseas) visa – and you’re from Hong Kong

If you can’t access your account:

You can get help to recover it. You’ll need to have access to the phone number and email address used to create your account. Check how to recover your UKVI account on GOV.UK.

Creating an online account:

You’ll need to create a UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) account to get an online immigration status. 

You’ll be able to use your UKVI account to:

  • view and prove your online status
  • check what rights you have in the UK
  • update your personal details – like your contact information

How to create a UKVI account:

The Home Office will send you a link to create your online account. You’ll also need to download an app called ‘UK Immigration: ID Check’ to verify your ID. 

To create your account, you’ll need:

  • access to an email address
  • an identity document – for example, your passport or current BRP
  • your current BRP number – if you already have a visa
  • your application number – if you’re applying for a new visa 
  • a smart phone to download the ID verification app

You can check how to download the UK Immigration: ID Check app on GOV.UK.

If you’ve already proved your identity at a Visa Application Centre or Service Support Centre, you still need to create a UKVI account.

If you need help creating an account:

You can ask someone you trust – like a friend or family member.

If you can’t manage your own account, you can add someone to your account who can do it for you – known as a ‘proxy’. For example, you might need a proxy if you’re a child or you have a disability that means you can’t do it yourself.

If you still need help creating a UKVI account, talk to an adviser.

If you need help using a computer or mobile device:

You can get help from the Home Office’s assisted digital service if you either:

  • aren’t confident using a mobile device or computer
  • don’t have access to a mobile device or computer
  • don’t have internet access

The service is provided by We Are Group.

They can help you over the phone. You might be able to visit someone or they might be able to visit you at home – this will depend on where you live. Find out more about how to get help from We Are Group on GOV.UK.

We Are Group

Tel: 0333 344 5675 (Monday to Friday from 9am to 6pm)

Text: 07537 416 944 – text the word VISA

Textphone (using Next Generation Text): 18001 0333 344 5675


Your call is likely to be free of charge if you have a phone deal that includes free calls to landlines.

If you don’t have internet access:

You can use the internet free of charge at your local Salford Gateway Centre or local library.

Proving your rights in the UK:

You can give a share code to someone who needs to check your immigration status – like your employer.

You can still use your expired BRP to get a share code until the end of 2025 – as long as your visa is still valid.

You can get a share code on GOV.UK.

This code is only valid for 90 days – if it isn’t used within the 90 days you’ll need to get a new one.

Proving your right to enter the UK

You still need to show your physical immigration documents when you travel – for example, your BRP or stamp in your passport.

Before the end of 2024, you’ll be able to use your eVisa to enter the UK instead of your physical document. 

Updating your UKVI account:


Make sure you keep your account up to date

If you don’t keep your account details up to date, you might not be allowed to enter the UK.

You’ll need to update your UKVI account if:

  • you renew or replace the identity document you used to apply – for example, if your passport expires
  • you change your name – for example, if you get married 
  • you change your address, phone number or email address – your contact details need to be up to date so you can view or share your status
  • you want to change your identity document or add another one

You can add or change your identity document using your UKVI account. You might be asked to send your passport or national identity card to the Home Office.

It will be a number of weeks before you can log in with your new identity document details – make sure you keep the details of your old one until then. 

When you add a new identity document to your account, you’ll need to sign in using that identity document in the future.

Don’t worry if you can’t see your old identity document on your account. It’s still there, but the system might only show the most recent one you’ve added.

You can update your details in your UKVI account on GOV.UK.

If you don’t get confirmation after you’ve updated your account, or you’ve been waiting longer than 4 weeks, contact the UK Visas and Immigration contact centre.

If you have problems with your eVisa:

If you create a UKVI account before the Home Office contacts you, you won’t be able to see your eVisa in your account.

If you need help sharing your status, updating your details or correcting an error, contact the UK Visas and Immigration contact centre.

UK Visas and Immigration contact centre:

Telephone: +44 (0)300 790 6268 – select option 3

Telephone: +44 (0)203 875 4669, if you are unable to dial 0300 numbers

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8.30pm

Saturday and Sunday, 9.30am to 4.30pm


Tom Togher

July 11, 2024.