Citizens Advice Salford – Advice Column

What to do if your post is delayed:

Throughout the pandemic, posties have worked hard to make sure we can all stay connected. Post is a lifeline for many, it connects us with loved ones, and gives us vital information, such as bank statements or appointments at the hospital.

But with more of us sending post than usual, and staff shortages due to coronavirus, some areas are facing delays.

If you’re concerned about missing or delayed post, here are our top tips:

If you’re waiting for items you’ve bought online, contact the retailer.

Even though Royal Mail is delivering your parcel, it’s the retailer’s responsibility to make sure it arrives. If they need to, they can contact the parcel company on your behalf. If it doesn’t arrive, read our advice on what to do.

If you’re worried that your energy bill is delayed, contact Citizens Advice.

You can contact our consumer service on 0808 223 1133 to get advice about a delayed energy bill. We can help if you’re at risk of being disconnected from your energy supply.

If you’re worried any other bill is delayed, you can contact your provider in a different way.

You could check your account online. If that’s not an option for you, then check how else you can contact the company. Phone, online chat, or email are usually available.

If you’re looking for ways to pay your bill, you’ll probably be able to pay online, but you don’t have to. Look on the back of an old bill, if you have one, to see what other ways there are to pay.

Check if you can claim money back:

If you’re waiting for something you’ve sent or someone has sent you, you might be able to claim money back. There are times where Royal Mail can refuse compensation, such as if it wasn’t safe or reasonable for them to deliver, but you can check what you might be entitled from Royal Mail compensation schemes. Or use our online tool to help you understand your rights.

Either the sender or the recipient can claim. But it might be easier for the sender to do so, as they’re more likely to have the relevant information, such as which postage was used and how much it cost.

Always make sure to get (and keep) your proof of posting:

If you’re sending something, make sure to get proof of posting. For example, this could be your receipt if you sent something at the Post Office. Make sure you keep hold of it too — it might make it easier to apply for compensation if the post is late.

And if you still can’t solve your problem — we’re here to help:

If you need more information, remember that Citizens Advice is here to help. You can find out more on our website or contact the Citizens Advice Consumer Service helpline.

Citizens Advice Salford call 0808 27 87 802.

Citizens Advice National Consumer Advice Service call 0808 223 1133.

Tom Togher.